Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reviews

batgirl 15

Batgirl Issue #15

Written by: Bryan Q. Miller

Art by: Dustin Nguyen

Batgirl has a new artist and it’s a perfect fit. Dustin Nguyen can stay. Everyone should read the first two pages of this issue, even if you don’t read comics. It’s a hilarious cartoon summarizing the entire story of Batman up to this point. Cute and informative, what could be better?

Oracle is back in this issue, which means we also got a visit from the gorgeous Detective Gage. He’s no Dick Grayson, but he’ll do for a fling.

Stephanie has a new villain for her rogue’s gallery, The Grey Ghost who was really kind of silly. The murder mystery is interesting and the issue ended on quite the cliff hanger. Join me next month to find out what happens when Batgirl is a wanted woman.

 

return of bruce 6

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne Issue #6

Written by: Grant Morrison

Art by: Lee Garrett

So, we’ve finally arrived at Bruce Wayne’s arrival to present time. Having been pulled to the vanishing point at the end of the last issue by the Archivists, Bruce has to find his way back to his time before the universe’s end, which is only minutes away. But, when he finally gets back, he has to find a way to remember who he is and save the world from imminent destruction.

In a greater sense though, this issue (and I think in extension, Grant Morrison’s entire Batman saga) deals with re-shaping who Batman is, and how he fights crime. This story reaches far back, to the origin that began in Batman: Year One (the ringing of the bell), all the way through the Final Crisis confrontation between Batman and Darkseid. In order to defeat Darkseid’s trap, which was sent with him through time, Bruce had to die and be reborn, into a new, different Batman, which leads directly into Batman, Inc. next week.

 

birds 6

Birds of Prey Issue #6

Written by: Gail Simone

Art by: Alvin Lee and Adriana Melo

For not being very impressed with the first half of this arc, the conclusion was spectacular. I knew Gail wouldn’t let me down. This is the first time I’ve been able to talk about Lady Shiva here, so I’m going to savor it. Lady Shiva is a pinnacle of the DC universe, she trained Black Canary, she trained Tim Drake, she’s Cassandra Cain’s mother, she has her fingers in all the pots but is able to maintain a sense of mystery. She is what Talia al Ghul strives to be. She is the ultimate weapon and Dinah Lance is one of

the few people she actually cares about and respects which makes all of their interactions extremely complicated. So, long story short, Black Canary and Shiva are scheduled to fight. I won’t tell you why, that would spoil the whole thing.

Enter Helena. Oh, did I not mention this was a Huntress issue? We’ve seen Canary and Shiva fight before, that isn’t a new concept. But Shiva and Huntress? Huntress can take quite the beating and with Zinda’s running commentary it was a hoot! I could get all mushy about Helena’s sacrifice for and love of Dinah, but I have to write about Red Robin in a minute so I’ll save the mush for that. Birds is back people! Back with a vengeance.

 

emeral warriors 4

Green Lantern Emerald Warriors Issue #4

Written by: Peter Tomasi

Art by: Fernando Pasarin

Here it is folks, the issue I’ve been waiting for and what happens? Our heroes finally show up on Daxam and Sodom Yat has already left to lead a new revolution against the guardians. Do I feel robbed? I admit, I do a bit, but Arisia hitting everyone in sight did appease me slightly.

But wait, there’s more! The Sodom Yat storyline was only the first half of the issue, in the second half the gang has finally made it to the unknown sectors and here is where the meat of this whole series is actually laid out, because Guy Gardner, red ring or no red ring, has a certain moral flexibility when it comes to what he considers justice. It becomes very apparent what parts certain characters are meant to play. Guy is obviously the leader, with Kilowog and Bleez whispering opposing ideas in his ear…as much as Bleez can whisper. Arisia is a gray area and is still finding her role in this group, but she stands up to Guy in a way that Kilowog won’t, and Guy needs that kind of presence in order to think through and justify his actions.

I’m not sure how I feel about the new story for Sodom Yat. Peter Tomasi went a very different direction with him than I was expecting, but I’m open to it. I just hope those bastards on Daxam get what’s coming to them.

 

generation lost 13

Justice League Generation Lost Issue #13

Written by: Judd Winick

Art by: Joe Bennett

In the Brightest Day series, when the White Ring revealed all the resurrected hero’s tasks to earn their lives back, my heart sank a little when I saw Maxwell Lord’s involved Magog. I don’t like Magog. I didn’t like him in Kingdom Come, and I don’t like his current iteration.

*Spoiler Alert*

Lucky for me Max Lord’s job was to stop him at any cost, and Max is evil. So, problem solved. No more Magog.

*End of Spoiler Alert*

This issue was a long battle between Captain Atom and Magog, which was pretty dynamic. The repercussions of the battle’s aftermath are going to be bad, but I am looking forward to Captain Atom’s next trip down the time stream.

 

knight and squire 2

Knight and Squire Issue #2

Written by: Paul Cornell

Art by: Jimmy Broxton

I like this miniseries. I have always liked the characters of Knight and Squire, especially in Grant Morrison’s Batman stuff, and this comic is no different. This issue deals with Morris dancers trying to turn British society proper again.

If you have no idea what a Morris dancer is, then you have stumbled on my main problem with this book: the extreme British references. While I feel like I get the majority of the jokes, there are some that float right over my head. Paul Cornell has included a helpful appendix with every issue so far, but even some of those definitions are vague. Still the details of the cover of Total Castle magazine have to be my favorite part this month.

 

red robin 17

Red Robin Issue #17

Written by: Fabian Nicieza

Art by: Marcus To

Oh Fabian, please write Red Robin forever. Cassandra is back! Let us rejoice! I’m still itching to know what her role will end up being in the world of Batman Inc., but it was a delight to see her again and Marcus To drew her superbly.

This issue was drama central, I’m a girl, I loved it. Tim is in essence becoming completely independent, while still being Bruce’s partner. He’s purchased a new place to live, which made me tear up a bit when I learned where. He has what I would consider his own Oracle in Lonnie.

The exchange between Tim and Bruce was really, dare I say, sweet. Which tells me how much Bruce has changed. The old Bruce didn’t hug, unless someone died and even then it wasn’t all the time. There were several references to Lynx being Tim’s Catwoman, but I have some major issues with that comparison. Stephanie Brown forever, that’s all I’m going to say.

 

thunder agents 1

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Issue #1

Written by: Nick Spencer

Art by: Cafu

I think that this is going to be a pretty interesting series. This issue has all the trappings of a good beginning: a good premise (people with nothing left to lose given superpowers that will eventually kill them), jumping backing and forth through time for the backstory, and interesting characters. The most potentially interesting character is Toby, the “salesman,” who I assume has to sell the would-be heroes to sign over their lives. I assume that the characters on the cover of the issue will be the team that Toby eventually recruits, but they don’t show up at all at this point.

The art by Cafu was really cool, although sometimes some of the characters looked a little young in the face.

I think this series, written by Nick Spencer (who also writes Morning Glories, which we both love), is something I could look forward to, if things keep looking up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment