Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Reviews – Bruce Wayne The Road Home

It’s a pity that The Return of Bruce Wayne was delayed because it was jarring to have Bruce suddenly back and mid-mission. That being said, I am relieved that Bruce is still Bruce. I was concerned that there would be a long period of readjustment. The Road Home consists of two stories, the first of course being Bruce Wayne familiarizing himself with how characters have changed while piecing together a much larger mission that appears to mainly tie into the current Red Robin storyline. The second story follows Vicki Vale on her quest to prove who Bruce, Dick and Tim really are. That being said, let’s jump right in to this weeks issues.

road batman and robin

Batman and Robin

Written by: Fabian Nicieza

Art by: Cliff Richards

Bruce spends the majority of the issue studying Dick and Damian as a unit. As the introduction to the Road Home, this issue didn’t have any stunning revelations. It set up the Bruce/Tim situation and we can all breathe a sigh of relief as Bruce determined that Dick and Damian are perfectly situated.

 

road red robin

Red Robin

Written by: Fabian Nicieza

Art by: Ramon Bachs and John Lucas

Bruce has infiltrated the Spiders and his first mission is to kill Red Robin! While Bruce’s observations of Dick and Damian in Batman and Robin were spot on, I found myself getting very defensive about his observations of Tim. Bruce obviously has some concerns regarding Tim’s abilities. I think that mainly stems from the fact that Tim is the best partner for Bruce and Bruce is therefore harder on him in general, but it was still frustrating. Pru was great as always, and I’m looking forward to the Ra’s Al Ghul issue, he is pissed!

 

road outsiders

Written by: Mike W. Barr

Art by: Javier Saltares and Rebecca Buchman

I don’t read Outsiders on a regular basis, so I was concerned about jumping into this issue, but it was actually really fun. Katana has always been a fun character and I enjoyed her interactions with Bruce. I’m curious to see what Bruce had planned for them and why he doesn’t think they’re ready.  I guess I’m going to have to catch up on this series.

 

road batgirl

Written by: Bryan Q. Miller

Art by: Pere Perez

Thank you Alfred, it’s about time someone stuck up for Stephanie Brown. This issue of the Road Home was my favorite so far. I enjoyed the rest of them, but Batgirl was the only one with a fun Bruce Wayne reveal and I was delighted at the mere mention that someone actually knows where Cassandra Cain has been all this time. 

If you are wondering why I haven’t mentioned the Vicki Vale storyline at all, I will say only this: Paul thinks she is going to be a big part of Batman Incorporated…I say kill her and keep the secret safe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment