Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Reviews


Batgirl Issue #19
Written by: Bryan Q. Miller
Art by: Ramon Bachs

Batgirl has the luxury of being one of the bat books able to lend itself to the overall Batman Inc. arc while still having a romping good time on its own. There was some interesting subtext in this issue that leads me to believe that Barbara isn’t completely happy with her new role in Batman Inc. Slipstream is a fun villain and I’m very curious as to who is pulling the strings there, and while I have to admit that I wasn’t too fond of Grey Ghost in the beginning, Clancy has grown on me.

Proxy’s role is obviously about to change quite a bit as her responsibilities take on a wider scope and it’s nice to see Bruce taking Stephanie seriously as a member of the group as her new toys prove. I was disappointed that Dustin Nguyen only did the cover this month, but I was very happy with Ramon Bachs’ Stephanie.

Batman and Robin Issue # 21
Written by: Peter Tomasi
Art by: Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray

I was anxious for Peter Tomasi’s run on this series, and it was worth the wait. The story of the White Knight is right on with the same tone as previous arcs of Batman and Robin. The premise is really disturbing when you realize what’s actually going on, but it’s interlaced with the Dick/Damian banter that we’ve grown to love. The conversation about why there aren’t pigeons in Gotham was oddly fascinating.

Bird of Prey Issue #10
Written by: Gail Simone
Art by: Inaki Miranda

The cover of this issue is gorgeous, but the interior art wasn’t doing it for me this month. Helena and Dinah look about fourteen and I don’t think of Dinah of short, but that’s the vibe she was giving. Zinda and Dove looked more like themselves, although Dove was in costume the whole time so we didn’t see her facial features at all.

Content though never disappoints with Gail Simone. This issue has been a long time coming in terms of what the “death of Oracle” actually means for the superheroes of the DCU. Reading as Oracle left Manhunter and Booster to their own devices had me doing involuntary fist clenches and once again raises the question, how much do we really trust Bruce? Don’t get me wrong, I always trust his intentions, but the follow through is something else. This is also putting a huge responsibility on Wendy aka Proxy, but more about that in Batgirl this week. Hats off to the Misfit cameo, I hope we see more of her soon.

Doom Patrol Issue #20
Written by: Keith Giffen
Art by: Matthew Clark and Ron Randall

Dick Grayson is NOT the Justin Bieber of Batman!  Aside from that, only a few more issues to go and we’ll miss you.

Justice League: Generation Lost Issue #21
Written by: Judd Winick
Art by: Fernando Dagnino

This series gets better and better and it’s going to be a shame when it ends but it’s almost time to see Max Lord get what’s coming to him! This issue is fraught with soap. It is melodrama central and I love it. There’s self-deprecation, grieving, pep talks, and even a little romance. After a few issues of total frustration about the recurring memory loss problem, it was nice to see Judd throw in a little silliness, it was much appreciated. I won’t give anything away but I’m happy to say I was right and leave it at that.

Titans Issue #33
Written by: Eric Wallace
Art by: Fabrizio Fiorentino

I’m tired of junkie Roy. I miss his interactions with Dinah and Ollie and while I get that that’s not his current path, I am officially bored with where he is at. He’s become a one trick pony whose one liners about his need for a fix are stale. That said, the Deathstroke overall story in Titans is very intriguing and despite rolling my eyes every once in awhile at the Roy/Jade drama, I’m never bored. This issue puts Wilson in quite the pickle and ends with whopping cliffhanger. I’m also happy to report that I think Osiris will soon be getting what he deserves. Hopefully that will mean less whining and if we’re lucky, maybe even death.

0 comments:

Post a Comment