Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DC on the Dark Side: 8 New Titles

DC announced eight new titles today that will be debuting in September and I’m intrigued.  Despite some upsetting news, I have to admit that this week has been really fun.  I’m very lucky to have a chill boss who didn’t mind when Paul called me in the middle of a payroll meeting this morning to ask if I’d seen the news yet.  I even took a few minutes to whisper into the phone conspiratorially that I had and that we would talk about it later.  So thank you DC for spicing up my work week. 

Anyway, the new titles are a mish mash of Wildstorm converts, characters from way back when, and some new team-ups.

Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder and Yannick Paquette.  Scott Snyder is just blowing up recently and I’m stoked about it.  His work on Detective was stellar and Yannick Paquette’s art is always amazing.  Paul is way more pro-Swamp Thing than I am, but with this team, my curiosity is certainly piqued.

Justice League Dark by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin.  In my head this is the greatest comic since sliced bread.  I’m actually twitterpated at the idea of this and if done right it’s going to be worthy of a snoopy dance.  The team includes John Constantine, Deadman, Madame Xanadu, Shade the Changing Man, what looks to be the new Spectre and while she hasn’t been announced yet, I’m really hoping Zatanna is in the mix. Fan freakin’ tastic! 

st_cv1kasmda0sd2 justld_cv1nsd8q2j3a

Animal Man by Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Dan Green.  There are two things about this announcement that elevated it from indifference to super excited.  The first is that Jeff Lemire is writing it and I love everything he does and the second is the cover.  It is creepy delicious awesome!  It’s got the Vertigo vibe written all over it. 

Demon Knights by Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves, and Oclair Albert.  This gets a “meh” from me and a “Hell Yeah!” from Paul who loves all things Paul Cornell.  It’s set in the Middle Ages, which could be cool but for now it’s going to be a wait and see.

anman_cv1_r2asmnkda92a demonk_cv1_r1sjadan

Frankenstein, Agent of Shade by Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli.  Again, we love Jeff Lemire.  Paul is more excited about this than I am and I am ashamed to admit it’s because he has actually read Seven Soldiers and I have not.  I should probably get on that…

Resurrection Man by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, and Fernando Dagnino.  My first and only experience with this character was in Supergirl #28.  I’ll give it a shot, but I make no promises.

frankenstein_14765432 rmn_cv1janagsye5

I, Vampire by Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino.  Usually I’m all about the vampires.  Let me clarify that and say, well-written vampires bring me joy, but I’m a little surprised to see DC going this route.  The title doesn’t thrill me but the cover is gorgeous and based on that alone I will pick it up.   

Voodoo by Ron Marz and Sami Basri.  I really enjoyed Sami Basri’s work on Power Girl (please don’t let Kara bite the dust!).  This is a Wildstorm transplant about a woman who is an alien/human hybrid, and I can see the potential there. 

ivamp_cv1mada-sa2 voodoo_cv1m5ttgu8

My final word on these titles is this, if these books are being published instead of titles that are near and dear to me (Secret Six, Xombi, Zatanna) they have some big shoes to fill and my expectations are high. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment